Driven by the growing Clean Beauty movement and concerns about the environment, many consumers express a willingness to spend more on beauty and personal care products that meet eco and sustainable objectives. According to studies done by Mintel and WGSN,
- 87% of Gen Z
- 73% of Millennial
consumers are motivated to buy skincare products created using methods that have the least environmental impact.
In June 2021, US-based non-profit organization: Upcycled Food Association launched the Upcycled Certified™ program, the world’s first product certification for upcycled products and ingredients. The certification legitimize food waste as a reputable and reliable source for beauty ingredients and ensure that such products are manufactured to the highest standards.
Why formulate with upcycled ingredients?
- Appeal to the eco-conscious consumers
- Gives added value, enhances brand message and the sustainability story
- Preserve the planet: could help to solve the problem of 1.3 billion tons of food wasted globally
Inspired to innovate from waste. Sensient developed an extract made from cocoa husks discarded by the chocolate industry,
Natpure® Xco Choco CC864.
What is Natpure® Xco Choco CC864?
- A 100% natural derived extract obtained from by-product of the chocolate industry.
- Made with cacao husk (from Africa) which is usually discarded by the food industry.
- The husks are cleaned, extracted and filtered in the most stringent methods – to preserve the ingredient quality and also ensuring purity.
So what are the properties and benefits?
- Soluble in water
- Can be used in skin care, hair care, personal care
- High stability, no darkening nor fading with time
- Care with color: Contains anti-oxidant active ingredients from cocoa husk extract
- Brown colored products are perceived as Earthy and associated to being Natural.
- Disclaimer that this ingredient may not be used as a colorant in US market
All these fits with the Megatrends by Sensient whereby we’ve identified ‘Back to Basics’ and ‘Sustainability’ as trends to look out for from 2022 and beyond. Consumers are looking for a no-frills approach to skincare, echoed by an overall trend of minimalism. Plus there is a new wave of sustainability effort that is set to come in forms of beauty formulas derived from waste.
Contact us to request a sample of Natpure® Xco Choco CC864 or arrange a VIVID session with us. We will be happy to introduce you to our latest ingredient launches and innovations.